Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Friday, October 16, 2009

Profits and the illusion

I closed another trade today, 100% gain, I like those numbers. It keeps my daily average above my goal and adds to my TFSA account base. The illusion that seems to be developing is that I have some losing option trades that I will have to eventually close and possibly for a loss, they are just hanging there so are not counted into my results. If they were a stock and I wanted to artificially keep my numbers up (for whatever reason) I could just hold the stock indefinitely and even then they may rebound and end on a winning note. The options, on the other hand, are time sensitive and I cannot hold them forever.

One is down to 5 cents on a 80 cent trade, another is down something similar. The good thing is that I cannot really lose anymore on that sort of trade. The bad thing is that I will have to close it and realize the loss at some point and that will adversely affect my numbers...especially if I let it expire and realize a 100% loss. Given the commission of $10 to just sell a losing trade it doesn't make any sense for a 5 cent 2 contract trade to take the hit...I lose more by closing it than letting it go.

I may add a 100% loss or two just to see how badly it affects the numbers, I know it is certainly nice to have a number of winners under my belt before having to realize the losses, makes the pill easier to swallow.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment