Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Pivot Points and their relevance

I stumbled upon pivot points a while ago quite by accident. It was mentioned in an article and the term intrigued me enough to go looking them up. Now I do not trade without them, real or fake trading. I have found that they make very good targets and I suppose it is not so much that they are predictive, as it would appear by the following chart, but more likely a self fulfilling prophetic tool because many traders are using them.

TLM on Friday. The pivot points are represented by the three red lines which are resistance level 1, 2 and 3. The primary pivot point is just below the chart and labelled PP.

Alas, I did no trading on Friday. Busy with holidaying.

I have been plotting these lines on SU, AEM, the gold index and the energy index as well as the TSX or whatever other chart I might be using for trading and reference. TLM seems to follow them even closer than the other stocks, which I found interesting.

The blue circle represents the only questionable period as the price spent a bit of time consolidating before breaking R1. I expect that I might have shorted at about 0945h to try to catch a pullback from R1 to only exit the trade a few minutes later as the price did not successfully break the 10sma. Perhaps the trade would have broke even or a few cents per share profit. Then again I cannot short in the TFTA so this trade is moot.

The price ratcheted upwards towards R1 after testing 10sma a couple of times so this would have made a very nice position entry. This is the kind of setup where scaling out of a trade would come in nicely. R2 would be the target but the price cleanly broke that level and pulled back to test it. Selling half of the position and leaving the rest go would be a good call.

Following just the pivot points and trading long only, there would have been a trade just before noon for about 10 cents per share, one at 1345h for 5 or 6 cents and one last trade shortly after 1400h for about 30 cents per share...but that would involve watching all day.

The whole point is that pivot points are one of the few tools that are not dependant on the price and volume on the day of trading. These lines are calculated easily and are placed at anytime after the previous day's close as they have been determined by the previous day, week and/or month's price movement alone and have been used for quite some time by traders to determine where the trading range may be for a given day. They have proven very useful to me.

I won't get into the formula that I use but it is a standard one that is easily found on a variety of sites online. Setting up a spreadsheet with formulae to calculate these is easy enough as well so you can just enter the open, high, low and close and have the points. The open is not used but I like to reference it. Some trading platforms have these as an automatic tool, which would be really nice but I am not going there any time soon as these are pricey packages that may not even work with my broker feed...so I haven't looked too closely at that yet.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment