Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Monday, January 31, 2011

FX equivalent trades

Today was to have been an FX trade for the Australian to US dollar (AUDUSD pair). Seeing as I do not have a forex account I looked for an alternative in the ETF world. FAX is an Australian dollar trust which closely follows the AUD so I figured it would be my best bet.

Seeing as there were no short funds (reverse correlation) I would have to short the ETF in order to take advantage of the expected pullback. The stop was about $1 higher than entry and the target was over $3.50 lower, a nice risk/return ratio... except for one hitch.

The order was rejected at the broker.

I did wonder as volume was not huge on this fund whether I would be able to short it in the first place, I guess not. As a result I am sitting on the side lines out of the trade. Too bad I did all the math to get into it.

I fully expected to not be able to take part in all trades through this newsletter service, so this is the first. I will be able to take the long side at least as there will be no trouble buying this fund at such time as appropriate for a long position.

Oh well. I am curious to see if this trade works out anyway.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment