Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Strangling Risk Management

First note, weekly options expire every Friday which means they are very short term as the trade is closed as of Friday's closing price. If the price falls short of the call strike and doesn't drop as low as the put strike then I keep all the premium. If I sell options on Wednesday or Thursday I limit my exposure to one or two days, no positions held for a possible weekend move. With the short time to expiry there is not much premium left for time decay so the options are fairly cheap, probably less than 15 cents normally... depending on risk tolerance and volatility at the time.

All that the price needs to do is not go into the money in either direction so I need to set my risk levels wide enough to miss most of the large moves and close enough to still have some premium left to sell. For SPY I tried 4% first. Based on this, as long as the price does not move up or down 4% from the time of the trade then the trade is a winner.

On a stock with a price of $100, just to make the math simple, I would sell the $104 calls and the $96 puts. Calls are usually less risky than puts as a price is more liable to drop faster and farther than to rise far and fast so I wouldn't mind holding the strike a bit closer whereas a put I would sooner leave a little more room. So if the same stock was priced at $100.50 I would still sell the $104 call but if the price was $90.50 I would move the put down to $95 to have AT LEAST a 4% allowance.

4% is just a guideline though. As the market becomes more volatile premiums rise and I could just as easily go to 5, 6, or 7% as long as I meet my target weekly option price. I haven't set targets yet as I need to watch the options for a while to see which ones will be the best for premium vs risk.

Watching the stock for price moves into the money is one way to keep track of the trade. Another is to just set a stop loss. I am not as keen on stop losses on options as option prices can vary widely even though the option is still OTM. Perhaps a 4 or 5 times loss allowance would do it. For example, a 10 cent option sold would have to go to 50 cents to stop out. I am not as comfortable with this as it could lead to some whipsaws so I would prefer, when I can, to monitor the price activity when the option prices get that far out.

Actually, another method of loss mitigation could be to sell the next higher (for calls) or lower (for puts) strikes seeing as the prices are higher. Closing the first trade may not be required but can be part of the plan. While this might not eliminate a loss, selling another 10 cent option farther out can at least cut it by 20 or 25%. Adding  the other side of the trade to make a new strangle using the new stock price and adjusted strikes could effectively cut the loss by as much as 50%. Obviously I have not worked this particular trade management out completely as there is only a day or two in the original trade anyway. The worst case would be that one week's loss needs to be recouped over the next three or four weeks. How often can a stock make statistically unlikely moves from week to week? Given the correct analysis and application of the risk management strategy I expect losses to be few and far between even if they are larger relative to the individual gains.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment