Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Just some month end odds

I went back to check my September through November trading, both fake and real combined, and found only 18 days that I traded. I tried a few things in there that were outside of my rule book so I shouldn't expect anything great, in fact one month had an overall 10% or so loss due to some dinking around.

Even after that I saw a 0.73% daily average net gain over the period, total of 13.14%. I don't consider this a great return as my goal for the same period would have been 48% had I been trading four of five days per week for the three months. Although my goal is 4% per week, it is really 1% per day first...so I am only really off by less than 5%, not too bad.

As much as I don't like to shed too rosy a light on my numbers I think it fair to show the reality of it in good light at least. I could eliminate my dinking and see numbers that exceed my goal neatly...but the trades are the trades real or fake at this point.

No matter what my circumstance right now I consider myself in good shape compared to the classic buy and holders as my cash position is doing better than the majority of portfolios for the last while. I always believe that the proof is in the pudding so I hope to be able to apply my trading in the coming weeks.

On a small side note, AEM price is climbing a bit and I sincerely hope that it does not cross the $50 mark before January as the Tax Free Savings Account limit will be $5000 and I like to stick with 100 share trades, even lots work better, and the TFSA will be a cash account...so if the price is higher than $50 I will have to pare down the trade size to stay under the $5K cash limit, no margin use with this account. Bummer.

I may consider switching to a financial to stay under this $50 self imposed restriction, CM perhaps. I have tracked it in the past.

Another side note, my old CTP (Counter Trend Positioning) plan would have done very well over the last while due to the nice drops in some of the stock that I was tracking. Quite a few of them are down well over 50% or more now and look like they might be in a position to start heading back up if the companies are still sound. I will probably start back into it once I get my Day trading working well and have a balance that exceeds my trade sizes by a healthy margin.

I know, I am doing this backwards to common thinking. DTing is supposed to compose only 10% of your portfolio. Seeing as I do not count my RRSP account in this, stinky mutual funds, I am DTing 100% of my account and may use smaller percentages for longer term trading, followed by old school investing. I have a few drips but I do not plan on contributing to them too much until I get a positive cashflow in my account.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment