Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

ETF technical, HXD.TO

I was curious how the various ETF's were fairing, this one in particular. I was working on an ETF hedge entry plan that would make trading the opposing ETFs (bear vs bull) in such a way as to make them a risk free and guaranteed profit trade similar to a collar trade in options trading...sort of. I dropped the idea as too complicated but I may take it out and dust it off another time.

Meanwhile...

HXD.TO, Horizons BetaPro S&P/TSX 60 Bear plus.

Here is a five month daily chart, ending in September as the rest is just more volatility.






The blue trend line was the downtrend that I placed back in the early spring, I have not touched this chart in months. The yellow was the mean, roughly. While it was broken back in April I was going to watch the upper line. The SMAs are 10 - red, 30 -blue and 200 -green. The lower trend channel line is not present due to some idiosyncratic StockCharts isssue, but it was below the mean about the same as the upper is above. Had I been playing my CTP strtegy I would have been buying in the mid $15 range and targeting for the breakout.

I loved the convergence of all of the averages and the trend line as this just screamed "buy, buy, buy!" as the price hovered about the 200, then broke and tested it as support twice on the way up.

It's charts like this that make me want to drop day trading and return to the swing style of trading...maybe another time. Even currently the price is bouncing along the 50 sma nicely with five tests as possible buy in points over the last four months.

The best part, for those who like traditional trades, is that this does not need to be shorted to play the other side. Just plug HXU.TO into yur charting software and you now have the inverse of the same ETF, the Bull. Because the price is smaller for it now the averages work slightly different. One could just ratio the prices and buy one when selling the other to stay in a trade and keep the money working constantly while even overlapping the exit and entries a bit for a bit of a hedging factor. Just dump the one that moves the wrong way.

Back to HXD for a moment...Because this is tied inversely to the TSX this is not so much a chart of this fund as the trends would work exactly the same on the index chart that it tracks, inversely. The volume on this means nothing as there is no underlying value so it only indicates that more people are interested in the ETF as it relates to the TSX, not for it's own sake.

I have had trouble with the idea of ETF's for some time due to their derivative nature but they can make an interesting trade none the less. Some of them are priced reasonably for anyone to play around with.

Just another tool in the tool box.

Jeff.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention that ETF's have some sort of Management Expense Ratio (MER) involved and I have no idea how that works in a daytrading scheme. Perhaps they are charged like a front end load fund so I would expect that to be a deterrent for me to trade unless planning to hold it for a longer time period.

    They are much lower than normal MERs though, somewhere less than 1% I understand.

    ReplyDelete