Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Monday, July 6, 2009

All in.

I am now up to five long and two short positions.

My plan has me going "All in" but not by increasing my position sizing just yet. That would place the loss allowances needed to start these trades too high, or I would tie myself down to only a few possible trades due to needing the price to get closer to my stop setting before entering.

Right now all my trades are 50 shares. Maximum loss allowance of $150 ($3 stops) even though most will come in tighter than that. At 50 shares I can get three shorts in my margin account, 6 or 7 long in my RRSP and 2 or 3 in my TFSA. This allows for some diversity as well as bringing my active trade quantity up to give me some data to work with for determining how successful this trading may turn out.

I think I will add some cash to the margin account and put up with the fact that there will be income tax owing as a result. Once I get my TFSA built up then I should be able to avoid having to do that in future. I just like the idea of having 3X margin available in addition to the shorting capabilities.

So, here's to going all in.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment