Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Monday, April 5, 2010

Could have's and all in with the TFSA vs Margin and taxation

With the decision I made based on my last post, to cash in my Optioneer capital to trade my current plans, I ran some numbers to see where best I might use the transferred cash. I had already put all of the option trades into a spreadsheet in order to see what my 3 weeks of trading would produce if I extrapolated the same results forward. I considered that if I only used the three weeks that it accommodates a possible poor fourth week performance and sort of treats it as if the fourth week only broke even...unlikely but possible. I also set this up as if I were following a truly equal weighted trading plan.

I ran six separate "studies" as follows:

Three used a margin account... which does not help with the option trading except that I could start with more cash. The other three use the TFSA account.

Margin:
$20,000 start up, 4, 5 and 6 concurrent trades (basically using three trade sizes, 25%, 20% and 16.7%)
Taxes are deducted at 40% at the end of each year.
Trade size is only adjusted at the end of each month... so monthly instead of daily compounding.

TFSA
$6,000 start up, 4, 5 and 6 concurrent trades (basically using three trade sizes, 25%, 20% and 16.7%)
Taxes are not deducted, none owing.
Trade size is only adjusted at the end of each month... so monthly instead of daily compounding.
Maximum trade size is $10,000.

Results:

Margin:
Balance at year one: 4 trade = $256,892, 5 trade = $248,855, 6 trade = $239,867
Balance at year two: 4 trade = $526,271, 5 trade = $518,264, 6 trade = $509,245
Maximum trade size reached in months June, June and July respectively.

TFSA:
Balance at year one: 4 trade = $352,452 , 5 trade = $322,513, 6 trade = $291,108
Balance at year two: 4 trade = $787,416, 5 trade = $757,457 , 6 trade = $726,072
Maximum trade size reached in months August, September and October respectively.

I thought about bumping the TFSA up $5000 after next January but what would be the point? The income is already flowing well above worrying about that, in fact the maximum trade size is already achieved well ahead of that. I expect that I will be peeling off cash in order to fund other trading that may involve needing margin, or perhaps not.

The long and short is that the TFSA, once again, beats margin hands down... taxes take their toll. It might be different if I were able to leverage the 3:1 margin for these trades but the max trade size is max for reasons of affecting the trades within the group so margin is a secondary issue.

Having said that I will be using margin for the stock trades that we take, we have taken a few, two today in fact, so restricting my study to only options traded is a bit narrow minded. I don't mind that as it skews the results against me, if you can call those two year forecasts "against". I also did not count the other two services that I subscribe to, which are both in the green. I used very little cash to fund these so I expect to turn up the heat on those shortly.

So, I "could have" been that much farther ahead already had I started "all in".

I am waiting for the cash to settle in my TFSA as I type this, request to transfer was placed immediately after trading on Thursday last week. It takes three business days due to the way that they convert and transfer the cash. Had I known I could have done it same day in a different manner....oh well. I will consider April month one and will reset my stats to match this as time progresses.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment