Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Lamentations of a bored trader

Ho hum.

Yes, I am bored in my trading. That can be a problem for me as I tend to want to keep the interest level up in activities that I choose to do. I think that this may have been one of my problems in my earlier trading and why I tended to not get a plan to be particularly profitable...as soon as it was no longer fun I had to change it up.


Interestingly I have an easy time stopping a losing plan cold... as I just did with Optioneer even though I recognize it's longer term potential it did not mesh with my short term plan... "outta here". The profitable plans tend to just peter out as I shift it to something else, let the profitable trades run their course, take the profits and put them into the next idea. In fact I am up about $700 on paper in my two other current plans. I considered just cashing in the trades, taking the profits and putting them into other newer and more fun trades. They have not run their course yet but it is not interesting to have them just sitting there making money.


HUH?


Yep, making money is not as interesting as losing it, not by a long shot. Forming the plan then trading it and having it do what was expected compared to doing the same thing, being wrong and figuring out why it was wrong. In the most recent case of the Optioneer plan I know what the problems were. Between the timing of me starting the plan and trying to get nice short term trades, as short as I could, it just has not worked out with the market activity. The longer term trades would tend to get into the profit point, slower, but would not be as volatile. Although they might have still produced losses probably not as quickly and I would have been open to closing them earlier. In the end they just don't suit my current plan anyway.

I have now decided to leave the interesting stuff alone for a bit, which makes for terribly boring posts here as well, but interesting posts are not my primary goal anyway.

So, re-funding my Questrade account over the next while, taking a trip next week but still going to trade in the mornings anyway. I will be seeing if I can step this up to get some boring but profitable trading in.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment