Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Stop loss, VTSO and the US market.

Well, I did some playing today in the NYSE after some morning trading in the TSX.

Stop Loss Orders.

I can place the much desired stop loss order with a market execution...I have a position right now in DZZ which Deutsche Bank Gold Double Short ETN...as close to equivalent to HGD as I found easily. I have a stop loss placed so I can walk away and feel reasonably comfortable leaving it. I was not really analyzing this one for a good entry, just a decent entry to try out the stops with a 50/50 chance of being right. Limit order to get in, stop loss to hold my losses to $10. The rising 200sma is above my stop so if the price drops past that point I want out anyway.

Virtual Trailing Stop Orders (VTSO)

Seeing as the stop loss issue was a TSX restriction I figured I would also try this out as a VTSO is basically a trailing stop loss executed as a market order once triggered...and market orders are not allowed so....

VTSO works just fine. I have not had one executed yet but I am pretty much going to plan on switching over completely to NYSE issues now. I only have to deal with the dollar conversion for my trading allowance. At least I know that I can hold USD in all of my accounts.

I need to do some research to select the proper stocks and ETFs...and ETNs I guess.

The easy ones would be AEM.TO, YRI.TO and ABX.TO as they have US equivalents, AEM, AUY and ABX respectively. Major banks are all traded on both as well so financial issues are fine as well.

More on this later I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment