Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Monday, May 4, 2009

Lunch interlude and beyond

I usually go home for lunch, and, due to a variety of variables, I end up going later than the classic noon lunch...but that is beside the point.

I opened up my trading platform and related softwares to see what was stirring. I tried a trade right around 1230h, once again, against my trading plan. I entered SDS on an downtrending 200sma...I was paying more attention to some twitters when I should have been paying closer attention to the market. Even so, an downward moving 200sma is pretty blatant and hard to miss.

I like to enter trades based on an upward sloping 200sma preferably with the 30 and 50 also above. These setups seem to work out the best partly due to they indicate a short term trend and partly as the price likes to crawl along the 200 often before making it's move, sort of a consolidation line. If it is downtrending the price often heads down for a bit first.

The one that I missed (yep, a day of missing here) was one that I aimed for, did not follow my rules completely...even though I was right I flubbed the entry as a result. Upward sloping 200sma, 30 and 50 above but I did not wait for the pullback to the 200...which happened afterwards while I was heading back to the office....to the penny. It also followed through precisely as I might expect it to. It did not move all that much but the entry was the idea, sort of a scalping trade at this point in the day, hard tight stops or just exiting upon apparent weakness.

I wasn't going to chart it, but here is the afternoon bit.


Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment