Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Larger postion notes.

Currently I am trading 100 share lots. I plan on bumping that to 200 after another week if I can see some consistant gain days.

I am currently sitting at just above 2% after suffering a pair of losing days due to screwing with my method...I should know better. Having said that I have a spread sheet that shows me where I would be if the only difference in my trading was larger position sizes of 200, 300 and 400 shares. I think that my order fills might be affected by the larger positions but I will ignore that factor as I believe it to be pennies per trade, if that.


position current net gain return Goal
100 $98 2.45% 5%
200 $336 4.00% 10%
300 $574 14.35% 15%
400 $812 20.30% 20%


Part of the difference is the fact that commissions are only paid once per trade so this adds to the return as they are 0.25% per trade. The other factor is, of course, the more shares the more money made per penny move.

Basically I am under capitalized which severely restricts my trading activity but also keeps me out of serious trouble should my theories not work out. So if I can make a go with $4K then once my portfolio grows, how ever slowly, I should see better results in future.

Of course the other factor could be that I only trade two hours a day. Had I the luxury of chosing to trade all day I would try to find a stock that moves well in the afternoon, if such a stock exists, and work it later in the day.

JD.

No comments:

Post a Comment