Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

January 13th, final tweaking

Still no account setup yet so another day of fake trading. Yesterday was a learning experience due to the short range, today was one just due to the mediocre range. Market is still under 9000 so still uncertain. It needs to either head down or up before there will be much large volatility again...but that is fine, perhaps I will start trading cash when the market picks up it's heels and I can start on a good day.

No matter.

TLM chart for the morning. I added dashed lines to represent the mid range of the pivot points, specifically the ones that are off the chart so this gives and idea of where they will be AND provide another possible zone of resistance and support. I have known that these can be as relevent as the PPs themselves sometimes, in their own way, I just didn't plot them or really use them.


I did a bit of swing style trading as the price moved up, I could have just held the first trade but I wanted to see some profits after yesterday's poor performance. The bluse circles are trades that I considered but waffled on so missed the entries...I refuse to chase a price as it is quite likely to retest the entry price level before moved the way I anticiapte it...that just puts me behind more should I be wrong. This has proven to be a very useful strategy by keeping me out of some losing trades altogether and letting me exit gracefully and without fear.

Buy $12.00 Sell $12.18 Gain 18 cents ps Return 1.5%
Buy $12.12 Sell $12.25 Gain 13 cents ps Return 1.1%
Buy $12.27 Sell $12.27 Gain 0 cents ps Return 0%
Buy $12.16 Sell $12.23 Gain 7 cents ps Return 0.3%

$0.38 gain per share or 2.9% overall return on trades

HED privided one decent trade. I kept plugging away at TLM until the SPTEN looked like it was going to give out for a bit...chart at the bottom.


I entered earlier...or later than I ought to have. I would not have go in on the early trade as I was just exiting TLM so waiting for the better setup would have been more prudent. I think I should have exited this trade at S2 in order to have folowed some of my plan. I held through and let it ride up to S1 though and madea decent gain.

Buy $17.25 Sell $17.65 Gain 40 cents ps Return 2.3%

$0.40 gain per share or 2.3% overall return on trade

The following SPTEN chart shows the ideal timing for HED in blue and the actual timing in red circles. This shows the inverse correlation between the S1 and S3 on HED with the PP and R1 on SPTEN. Had I had the dashed halfway point between PP and R1 it would have been clean support and would have corresponded with S2 from the HED chart. I marked the relationship between SPTEN PP and HED S1 as the prices crossed them at about 0945. This led to the assumption of other correlations and makes it easier to follow the concurrent charts.

Total tally was $144 net for a portfolio return of 3.6%.

No comments:

Post a Comment