Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

January 7th, "could have's"

I did not trade or even look at the market today but I decided to see what it could have had in store for me. Sticking to my PP200 strategy, which is pretty much just using pivot points for entry determination and the 200sma relativity for bias and sprinkling in a little market timing for the exits, I plotted out the most likely trades of the day.

Both Suncor and Talisman had down days and that is the bias for the day based on the price starting out the way that it did. Watching for the support to appear at the primary pivot point the entry occurs upon the PP test as the price heads back up. Exit is pretty standard as the price gets near the R1 and a classic candle pattern looks like a peak. If this had been in the middle of a range I might let it go. Perhaps a 40 cent trade for 100.

Talisman didn't pass the PP so just entry right off the bounce...either the second or third minute following the test. Exit is a classic volume depletion. About 20 cents.

Both of these trades are against what would be expected for the day but at this point the actual trend is not really established, so I would be trading the opportunities. There appears to be another long trade just after 1030h except that the next pivot point, S1, is much lower so it would not have followed the PP200 strategy. If I chose to stray I might have entered this one on the second dip and may have seen a 30 cent gain...a lot would depend on the setup at the time though. SU had a very similar opportunity but again, without being there ...

Now, the Capped Energy index is basically the exact same pattern and is the "control" for trading these stocks...see the fourth chart for the HED bear ETF.


This is where the money was today. Considering that I expected a down day I would have my eye on this one more so than the others. Considering that I can only trade one stock at a time as I am going "all in" for each trade I do have to make some decisions about where to focus. I am more comfortable with the stocks at the very beginning and they bounced nicely so one of those would have been the primary trade. Then, shortly after 1000h the slump starts so shift to HED in anticipation of the trend setting.

After trading SU or TLM the second trade on this chart is the first real candidate. Second test of the S1, maybe a slow entry. The little hesitation midway to the PP corresponds with the SPTEN index testing it's PP... given the bias I would hold that through as there is not much of a pullback on HED. It then screams up past PP as SPTEN drops like a rock. 85 cent gain.

The wrap up:

This trade takes me to about 1045h so I would stop having met my goal for the day and it being near my time cutoff. If I had to choose between SU with it's larger swings or TLM and it's larger position sizing I think I would tend toward TLM. SU's trade was 40 cents ps at 100 shares for $40 based on $5K capital but TLM allows 300 shares. So a 20 cent ps trade profits $60. It goes back and forth as to which is better on any given day with this ratio so I am probably best to just pick one and go with it. TLM is close to being able to trade 400 shares so It would be my focus soon anyway.

HED also allows 300 shares traded so an 85 cent gain is $255...nice. If I traded the rest of the day and followed PP200 there is another 50 cents overall as the price of HED bounces along the 200sma...kind of the norm for afternoon trading so i eventually want to be able to take advantage of some of these long rides. I just plain do not have the time right now and I don't think I want to play with VTSOs jsut yet.

I don't go on much about losers as I have about 5 losers for the last 30+ trades and they are for pennies a share...so extrapolating that here might reduce the possible overall gain by say $20. Even if it was $100 I would still have met my goal but I would not allow a $100 drawdown ... anymore.

I have to keep in mind that my goal per day is 1% return on portfolio... $50 right now so all these larger numbers are almost pure gravy, like today's $315 or yesterdays live trading at $366. I like to keep myself grounded so I do not get carried away when the money is on the table. I also do not want to slack if I do have such nice days as I do not want to get lazy or over-confident and lose my edge.

I will probably post a wrap up for the last round of trade testing later. It looks better than any of the previous tests even though I was hard on myself.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment