Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Speculation about today and PP200

I checked in at the end of the day to see what kind of action the market had and specifically TLM. I quickly plotted the trades that could have been taken based solely on catching the price at or within 2 cents of the pivot point line.


Without getting into each trade the total captured price move over the day would be $1.46 ps(12.2% on the trade)...over 300 shares trade that is a decent $438 (10.9% on the portfolio).

Now, for these I usually apply a fudge factor to account for slippage, early exits and whatnot. IF every trade was made I would use 70%. That's $1.02 ps (8.5%), $306 overall (7.6%).

Here is where the 200 part of the PP comes into play. On all of the trades the 200 sma was as far as the next or last pivot point or half PP line. The one exception is the red circled possible trade as the 200 is right above the nearest 1/2PP line...too close to be considered a target althoughthe first trade might have managed to squeeze 4 or 5 cents profit it is not a good setup for a trade.

This is where I will miss my short sells as there was another $1 movement that I could be short selling based on PP200 as well...perhaps I would only get 70 cents of it but on a down day the returns would be reversed.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment