Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

February 25, connection issues

Today was a very interesting day. I made one trade, explanation to follow, represented by the huge green square. The trade entry did not follow my rules very closely as the index was well above the 1/2 S1 line (dashed green) but it was sitting nicely above the 30 and 50 sma, yesterday was a huge massive drop so a rebound was inevitable. So I placed a market order for HGU to take advantage of the leveraged jump to come...this was expected to be a long riding trade for me...little did I really know.


I managed a real 5.4% profit on the one trade, and I called it a day at that...for reasons not of my making. The rest of the morning trades were plotted as HGD positions taken with red arrows and HGU positions with green arrows. These additional trades would have been nice and clean and by the book. The circle is the 50sma squeeze. That is a forced braekout setup and could be entered where I placed the arrow for a small target to the 1/2R1 hoping for the breakout to the upside...which did materialize and produced a corresponding 30 cent move in HGU.

So, the back story.

I let the high volume noise settle off the start, watched as the index pulled back a bit but I did not anticipate that it would pull back to my S1 line, there was far too much interest in getting long on today's most probable action by all traders. So I played the hesitation just below the 200sma...this line is mostly a headgame with traders, but it works to play it against the timid. Today was to be a balls to the wall aggressive day for me...to be continued...

I place a market order...it did not execute so I tried cancelling it after watching it languish in my order box for about thirty seconds.

I placed it again, same deal, and one last time. I really figure that the first order got executed but there was a glitch in the platform connection as I had some trouble thereafter.

Long and short of it is that I could not get access to any trading online, I still had my separate live feed so I was able to see the jump right after my entry. I watched while the price did exactly what I expected it to do...not that I could have done anything if it went against me. Basically I decided to get out after the first test of the 1/2 R1, my second target of the morning but had to wait to get through to a trader desk (that cost me 0.5% profit...but no big deal)...I tried the tech support route first but my account was de-linked so even once I got in I could not sell it anyway. They could not guarantee when it might get relinked...might have been in the afternoon.

Oh well. If I had to be stuck in a trade this is the type of day I would pick, strong move right after entry and an eye to holding the position longer than normal. I did consider leaving it ride but I did not want to take a chance on not getting it sold for a decent profit...I chose not to be greedy. I did ask about placing a VTSO but could not...which is a whole other story.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment