Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

All in... once again

Well, I have filled my account with credit spreads now. I threw in two stocks that pulled back sharply on news and placed put spreads well under the resistance levels. These are smaller trades, 2 and 3 contracts but still pretty lucrative overall. I may investigate this sort of trade closer as well. As much as stocks can be more volatile than the sector ETFs this volatility can be made to work in my favour. Trading immediately after a sharp move takes advantage of a bump in the premiums and allows me to use a much farther strike and therefore create a less risky spread.

My effective yield of the account overall is exactly 10% should all positions expire. Considering that the longest trade was for 33 days, if I can keep the averages up and I have no losing trades that should work out well.

I may send my Optioneer money for January into this account instead as this is much more fun and, so far as the numbers look right now, at least as profitable. I can always take this money back out and send it along should I desire to do so afterwards.

I think that optimizing credit spreads is an overall fixed income machine as there are no huge single payoffs, just regular plodding along to take advantage of yields.

The best part...or maybe not for someone like me who likes to play... is that there is nothing to do until Dec 31st when two of my trades expire freeing up an increased buying power. My SPY iron condor expires then. The rest of my positions expire Jan 15th.

My SPY spreads are actually degrading quite nicely. The long options have lost the majority of their value which reduces the value of my positions BUT the short options are outlosing them by a healthy margin which is securing profits.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment