Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Revival today, sort of.

I expected another non-event day today... or at least some small gainer trades again... while I was not completely wrong it ended up on a better note than I initially anticipated.

Seven trades closed, 5 new ones from today and two older ones from last month that I decided to hold even though the group closed them for losses already... group dynamic thing. I still have two more that I have set very modest sell targets on but my account looks MUCH better now than it did this morning.

I updated my stats for June on my main page.

I almost doubled my profits for the month to date just today (yah, June was THAT bad)... it was a $421 day. Nice note to end the month on. I held positions today ranging from 2 to 12 contracts. The best part was catching the end of the day plunge as I watched the market sell off heavily in the last 30 minutes. I setup all my remaining positions so I could market order to sell them with one click per trade so I closed five trades between 1539h and 1543h for pretty close to maximum gains as the huge down move lost momentum. Actually I called the bottom well enough as it hit bottom at 1545h and bounced for less than 3 minutes before recovering a few points.

I checked the difference in commissions. Not all of my trades were under the new lower rates as two were open from before but even so it would have cost me over 35% more. That's about $62. Nice to have a little extra in my pocket like that. I think switching to IB may only be a break even game now...except for the increased efficiencies in the platform and the i-phone trading application.

I think that this may be the last month that I run two sets of charts to compare various methods of sizing as I have hit upon what looks like the best method now. That will save some time in setting up July's tracking chart at least.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment