Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Smart Phones and Trading

I have the typical cell phone that can send and receive text messages, nothing fancy. I have my trading alerts sent to it in order to tell me that a trade may be at a profit target or may need to be closed. This is a part of the service provided with the trading room on trades that we have open overnight if any need attention.

I thought I was doing well as I am normally near email most times, or within easy reach of WiFi at least. I did investigate getting an i-phone but I already just bought an i-pod touch a few months ago so I did not really want to spend the $250 again.

Friday changed my mind as I had a position that needed to be closed. I received the text message. I wandered over to Starbucks to use their WiFi as I can trade the web platform on my i-pod. I have used this service at this particular Starbucks in the past but on Friday it would not connect. No big deal. I held the position and I still have it now. The trouble is that over the weekend I lost more on it than the phone was worth if I even included 3 months of data as well. Today I am at a point where it is down an i-phone and 7 months of data. Now, it is a July option so I might come out ahead but that remains to be seen.

So, once I get this week (expiration week) under my belt and see how the profits for this month stack up I will be purchasing a new phone. I happen to be camping in the first week of July and no phone will work where I am going anyway but I will feel better knowing that it is one less thing to have to look after later.

Oh, there is no trading in that week either, room is closed.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment