Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Friday, October 29, 2010

CMC trade closed and the next opened

As noted in my Live Trades window the CMC trade closed Wednesday for $1 and $1.50 targets for the two trades which yields a 6.9% and 10% profit.

I have been involved in regular meetings this week so I was not as on the ball as I could have been with the re-entry into this stock. My entry target was $13.50 (long) and I could have gotten in the same day as the short profit target was tagged but I didn't do so until today.

No big deal... unlike the IRM trade that I missed for the sake of an hour, I find that most trade entries, and exits for that matter, have much longer windows of opportunity.

I re-entered CMC long adding the profits from the short trade to compound the trade size.

A brief note on the compounding effect.

Something that I overlooked when trading options, which was ultimately part of my reason for getting out of option trading for now, was the method used to compound returns based on profits. I won't go into the details other than to say that not doing it properly can easily blow up your account due to not being able to change position sizing in gradual increments.

With stocks, compounding will allow gradual increases in absolute risk following every profitable trade and an easy method to downsize trades in order to minimize risk following a loss.

I'll put up some numbers in my next post.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment