Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Friday, October 29, 2010

ROI Optimization... Ignoring Time Lines.

Perhaps my post should have been titled, Near Miss with IRM as this was entered on Monday right shortly after missing the $23.00 high in IRM that day, I just forgot to actually post it:

Today I dropped a stock off of my hit list (CLI) due to it's price being higher than my optimum stock price and added one (IRM) that, had I been one hour earlier I would have gotten into a trade.

Actually I would have been in a nice reversal trade on that one as it hit the previous long position target and the next short trade entry this morning.

Due to my fixed target sizes ($1.50 for less than $20 stocks and $3 for over $20) the optimum trade size is a $20 stock for a long entry and $23 for a short entry. This produces an ROI of 15% and 13% respectively.

A $15 stock can produce a 10% ROI which lowers as the price approaches $20. Anything higher than $23 the ROI just heads down as at $30 it is 10% as well. I figure anything with a 10% or better ROI is fine right now.

A side note on this is that while the stock may be at that sweet spot it will not stay there. The idea here is not to just trade at the $20-$23 all the time but to use compounding in order to grow the position size as the price moves away from that ideal price. Starting out with a higher ROI just gets it moving a little quicker.

Ultimately it is all about the cash-flow more than the ongoing per trade ROI.

Starting with a $1,000 position size and making trades that gain 10% to 15% per trade it adds up.

I mentioned my relative ranking system before so I won't get into details now but the new addition is tied for top spot at 21. I heavily weighted the price factor to favour anything north of $20 decreasing as the price increases to $30 yielding a zero for the last price ranking.

The followup is that I missed a really nice entry on that particular stock at that particular time as evidenced by the chart following:


Note the peak on Monday, probably about an hour before I entered my order firm at $23.00. On Tuesday I considered getting in in the mid $22.95's but decided to hold tight, hindsight.

The previous long entry that I mentioned in my post was at $20 to sell at $23 and short immediately at $23. Had I been long I might have missed the short due to the fast peak as I cannot place a short order while holding a long position without having two separate trading accounts (next year I will do that with longs in the TFSA)

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment