Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Monday, January 19, 2009

January 19th playing around

I will not trade on American holidays as the volume on the Canadian exchange is pretty low. I did drop in to see what I might have been able to do but with spreads of 10 cents and over I will not trade. At one point the quotes were Bid: 11.93, 11.88, 11.63, 11.50...basically no support. One of my fake trades took advantage of the lack of support as a signal to exit while there were still bids in my profit zone.

I ran 3 fake trades and showed a portfolio gain of 2.4%. I am pretty sure that I played them accurate enough to have actually made these trades.

Due to the drop in energy stocks overall the best trade was HED, Energy Bear ETF for a neat 32 cent gain. The spreads were even larger on this. With normal volume I could have easily seen between 10 and 20 cents more for the trade assuming that the inside ask reached the same level.

All in all it was an interesting hour, I learned that I could trade these if I wanted to...but will still likely choose to sit them out.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment