Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Monday, February 2, 2009

February 2nd, HGU and HGD

Today was pretty much like any other day, lots of potential and not any real trading due to circumstances that I have let control me...a whole other story.

Actually, perhaps not. Some have said that in order to be successful in trading you have to treat it as a business and take it seriously. I have not done that yet and perhaps that is my whole problem. I let interruptions get in th eroad of perfectly good trades and today was no exception. I did call and track them but that is easy enough to do now in my head as the pivot points are so predictable now and work as very good targets for both entry and exits.

HGU and the early long plays.



The short story:

0931h Buy $12.20 sell $12.40 Gain 20 cents ps Return 1.6%
(this may not have played out well due to the early entry, so I skip it in the final results)

0934h Buy $12.40 Sell $12.70 Gain 30 cents ps Return 2.4%
0956h Buy $12.80 Sell $13.00 Gain 20 cents ps Return 1.6%

$ 0.50 gain per share or 4.0% overall return on trades

Due to the late morning downtrend HGD would have made some decent trades as well.

I noted the "technical squeeze" circled in red as it was happening. The Friday closing intersecting with all of the moving averages and squeezing the price between them and the 1/2 pivot point just below. On HGU the blue arrow would have been a short sell for me, no question, as that is superb resistance...playing HGD would have been the alternate here, as noted below, the same technical situation was happening in reverse. The blue arrows below are loosely where trades would have been entered. I noted them below for curiosity:


1102h Buy $9.47 Sell $9.63 Gain 16 cents ps Return 1.7%
1150h Buy $9.54 Sell $9.70 Gain 16 cents ps Return 1.7%
1258h Buy $9.80 Sell $10.00 Gain 20 cents ps Return 2.0%

$ 0.52 gain per share or 5.4% overall return on trades

So, The long story is still my hesitation to get serious with this and turn it into a profitable venture. I really have no excuses so this week will be my week to work on the implimentation of some firm plan to get active in the trading. Perhaps not focusing on the open is in my best interest and just aim to start a little later to follow a trend more than trying to nail the faster initial moves that are prone to having interrupted.

Well, either way I am having fun, if I wasn't what would be the point?

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment