Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Thursday, February 5, 2009

February 5th, mid-morning update

Today is a crappy day for trading the gold ETFs, they are terribly range bound after opening very strong based on the pre-market surge this morning in the price of gold.

I made three trades and am still up $5 but that is a pretty poor showing but not too bad considering the churning going on. I decided to let it wallow and work this kink out.


I had figured that the opening gap would be closed buy noon so I played HGD bear for the downslide that never really materialized, I was still ahead though. So I switched to HGU to try for what looked like a possible break up after 1000h, against my decided bias for the day, and didn't fair well as there was no solid move. Too much horizontal with lowish volume while in a trade makes me edgy as the longer it plays that way the less likely it becomes that the move will materialize in my favour. I usually try to exit these while in a profit position but will dump within a few cents of my mental stop, usually based on a technical trigger for me.

Yesterday was a day to play with the bear fund and today was a day to play with the bear and bull combined. I am still getting "into" playing the bear against the bull rather than short selling so, even though I faked a lot of trades, it takes a little more on the ball to play these back and forth. The market orders are making this a lot easier to manage.

Now that HGD is well below $10 that puts it into the 400 share position size range for me. I have been using 300 shares and find that the fills are broken but within a penny. They do not trade inside orders of high enough volume to secure a clean full fill in one shot...I am curious how 400 share orders are going to work out for me. Nice to get larger positions under my belt with smaller prices and smaller moves now, this is part of my plan to grow with the account.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment