Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Updating the stats column...an optomistic projection?

I was just updating the stats column. I stopped entering them early this month and my previous goal had been 24.45% return after 16 weeks for the CTP plan. That was 1.5% weekly compounded monthly which doubles the capital about every year.

I am 13 days into the day trading plan, no real goal as I am testing right now, but I am at 21%...that's almost 6 times faster than my previous plan goal.

So, for arguments sake I ran a one year spreadsheet using 6% return per five trading day period, and running 40 weeks or 200 days. This is lower than my current by a fair margin as three weeks at the current rate would put me over 25%, so 18% for the same period. I did not compound the return but at the point where the portfolio increases by $5K I roll that back into a second lot for trading purposes...effectively doubling my dollar return at the same percentage return. With 12 weeks buffer, (I like that, 3 months potential holiday), I could add a few weeks if the returns are lower to get to the same point in a calender year.

By the end of the year I will be:
trading 6 lots
profiting $1800 per week
have a portfolio value of about $35,000
Have used little to no margin

I figure that if, (yes I do say if as it is possible for this to not work as planned), I get to the point of trading 6 lots a few things may have to happen.

I will need to...
1- switch to a more expensive stock to keep the lot sizes down for liquidity purposes
2- get more efficient at entry and exits to be able to move the larger trade sizes
3- have more than one stock to trade to take advantage of the lower beta periods of one stock
4- have 2 stocks trading simultaneously to boost my dollar returns and keep liquidity
(only one can trade at a time so a stock that is not in sync would be best)

Crap, if I use margin and I stopped increasing the trade size when it hit $60K (my $30K and $30K margin...keeping in mind that margin in my account is 3x, this is only 2x use) I would end up with $3000 per week and a portfolio balance of $85,500...based on 5% per week instead of 6%...A small fudge factor. That is $3000 per week.

So, dreaming big here for a moment...if I use these numbers and set an income replacement goal of $1000 per week before taxes and left everything else in play I could easily stop working after one year (the soonest I would) then I would be re-investing $2000 per week after the one year. That's living off of $40K and re-investing $80K...I'd balance those a bit depending on needs.

BAH! Got to keep thinking small here for now. No sense in getting grand ideas while I am still a fledging trader here as that is just begging for a huge ego bubble burst and setting me up to get emotional about the trades.

Back on track here, as I have started to track my returns based on a percentage of the daily beta captured I should be able to use this to calculate roughly what I might expect from any other stock. That makes a few assumptions about the stock being as predictable as what I am used to so there may be a paper trading trial time...or not....

JD.

No comments:

Post a Comment