Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day Trading Three

No, I am not going to give blow by blow every day.

Today was notable as it started out more than a little odd. I set up at home to listen in and do some trading. I setup my laptop for the audio and plugged speakers into my PC USB for power. I was setting up my trading platform (nice to get Questrade's Questrader Pro back on line now...so much easier to see everything at once and execute trades with one click on the security and one click on the buy/sell button...but I digress) and jotting down some of the setups to watch when I decided to turn on my overhead lights.

ZAP!

The lights came on and the computer went off. Smell of burnt electronics wafting from the back of my PC.

Turns out that I fried at least the power supply, the USB port, the speakers and the earphone plug on the laptop all in one go. I cannot see how it was the lights that did it but there is something funky going on.

Now I was up and running in less than 30 minutes in my office on different equipment when I should have taken the hint...don't trade today, I was not meant to trade today...or at least not meant to make any money.

Two trades, one long play that netted a whole 10 cent gain and a large for me put option play that lost 23 cents.

Now, seeing as the trading room provider has some sort of obligation to perform with timely advice on trade executions and seeing as this is live I expect that the next few days will be better. One poor day in the first three is not a braking situation at all.

So, time to check out the physical damage to the two computers and go over the wiring to see what, if anything there, might have caused this.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment