Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

New platform...again

Well, I tried to change my trading platform for today's trading with no luck. I received the notice late morning and I did not want to try to set it up at that point. I played around with it this afternoon and play tested with an order to get the feel for it.

I forgot how flexible it is and how easy and quick to place orders.

The account box is the same, no need to change it anyway. The quote boxes are similar but have added order features. I can set the order through the typical BUY, SELL style of buttons with quantity and price adjustment boxes as well as a drop down order type (for market, limit, GTC etc.). That is nice but there is a "dome" display which gives a price ladder indicating the various quote prices. Clicking on a price on the ladder autofills the order price, hitting the buy/sell button places the order at that price and there is an extra column to indicate my active unfilled orders. I think I can set it to place the order in one click as well...I'll play some more first.

The best part is having up to 8 charts active with 5 quote boxes doubling as quick order boxes that each have drop down menus to open up 5 stocks each. In theory I can have 25 stocks pre-loaded ready to trade and each one be just a click away.

There are only two option boxes that function similarly...no drop downs though.

That is just asking for some serious overtrading. I expect to have 5 or so active orders so I will use this more for monitoring potential and active positions without having to open and close boxes or re-select stocks.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment