Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Friday, March 26, 2010

Week three completed...almost

Well, week three comes to an end. I still have three trades open but made two separate day trades this morning in two of the currently open positions. Sort of cool to hold a core position to play off of it with a completely separate activity. The quick nickel vs the slow dime.

The morning netted $405. The week $1086 (largish loss and three trades not closed this week yet)

My wife is liking the trading now. Today I sent her shopping for a new leather coat...big sale on in Ottawa and I figured that I could cover that purchase as a "bonus" for hitting my overall $4,000 mark. Or I could count it as a +$250 per day average mark. Either way it is a good feeling to know that profits are in the books and I can transfer some of those nice gains to enjoy in a truly materialist manner.

There was a discussion about trade sizing for option trades as one individual was trading large volume, 50 contracts, when the expectation is 10 to 20 per trade for the value of option in play.

I had already come to the conclusion that a $2,000 option position was the best size for my account and produced the returns that I am looking for while still giving me smooth and quick order execution.

The scale then becomes option volume relative to the sizing and per contract cost. I round off, 0.5 goes to 1.

$1 x 20
$2 x 10
$3 x 7
$4 x 5
$5 x 4
$6 x 3
$7 x 3
$8 x 3
$9 x 2
$10 x 2

The daily target is still $500 per day based on those sizes so 3 - 5 trades are the expectation with trades in the $200 plus mark regularly. The moderator will work more trades in to increase returns if it is needed. I think the lowest weekly return was $500 for one individual. I cannot really see my weekly, even though I quoted a number a moment ago, as I track the trade in the week that the trade was opened rather than when it was closed. Perhaps I should change that next month as profits are only profits when the trade is closed. I expected to be closing all positions in the same day so that is how I set my spreadsheet up initially.

This is perfect for my smaller account as long as I trade options. Stocks are another matter as I need a much larger capital base to trade $100 stocks with any volume. Even a 100 share position is $10,000 in buying power.

Which leads me to my next part of my plan.

The TFSA.

If I transfer $8,000 (about the max as I lost some money last year in that account) I can manage up to 4 concurrent option trades at $2,000 (or 5 at $1500 or so) while keeping my margin account for stock trades. I plan on opening an account in my wife's name but I may just use it for the swing and momentum option trades as I may not be able to link her account with my platform to perform day trades.

Either way. My daily average right now is $251, just over my main target but shy of the group target. If I convert my daily target into a comparable tax free profit target it is $175. Switching to the TFSA should not stymie my profits in any way, except maybe due to the 6, 7 or 8th trades having to be in the margin account perhaps. This puts me well ahead on my initial goal.

Doing the math on $250 dollar tax free days...not even counting compounding or increasing my goal to match the group goal and trading only 40 weeks of the year ... puts the take home at $50,000 annually. Ramp it up to $500 (which I think is going to be low overall) and that puts a cool $100,000 in my pocket.

Take operating costs out of that, then add in profits from the other services that Ia m using and I expect that the number will still be higher yet.

These are not numbers that I am making up in some sort of forecasting model making any vague assumptions. These are hard goals set as a group that we are, mostly, currently achieving.

Let's play imagination for a moment.

Say I want to have the option of working or not, which this can easily provide. I run the trading through the TFSA for tax free and tax neutral profits (they do not affect any other taxation, even CPP). This provides the beef of my income. Then I put a good chunk of my other taxable income into an RRSP and get the tax money back from that to invest as well. In a year or so I stop collecting a regular taxable income and start drawing directly from my RRSP at substantially reduced, likely even minimum taxation...I have effectively given myself a largish bonus in year two of my plan while reducing my current taxation to near zero levels.

I have not thought this one through completely nor have I done any math on it but it sounds like a very good plan to me.

So...off to do some other "real" work for the rest of the day.

Jeff.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff,

    First of all, congrats on your success. I am visiting your blog every day. We had a discussion about the bear spread on SPY last year. Probably you remember me. Anyway, I am still on the way finding a stable trading winning system, and you are already there. I have a lot of questions to ask you. For example how to pick up the stocks or option strike for the day trading, what’s your technical indicator used to determine entry and exit points, etc. I really appreciate that if you can give me some advices. Thank you millions and millions.

    -- James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks James.

    I wish there was a nice short answer to your various questions.... actually there is but it is not the answer that I would have thought I might be giving when I started this blog. If you were paying attention, I have mentioned often of late that I am testing out a variety of services. These are a combination of stock and option advisory services.

    While I keep an eye to the strategies and note the technical and/or fundamental analysis behind the trades recommended I cannot lay claim to being able to duplicate the trades directly. Seeing as the last services that I am still in are turning out quite profitable I am loathe to turn back to my own methods right away.

    Having played with my own trades in many timeframes I am able to see through some of the smoke and mirrors to discern some of what is needed to pull off the trading that I am emulating right now. I see thousands of dollars invested in analysis software, information services and various streaming data feeds. I also see more hours than I am willing to spend on stock selection strategies and entry targets... although I know of some software packages that can take a lot of this load off.

    Therefore I am willing to pay a monthly fee for someone else to do the heavy lifting right now. The best service I am in costs me about $500 per month... and with a $500 per day target for the individuals in the group I feel it is a very fair investment.

    When I get back to my own stuff I will go over those tools that I use.

    Meanwhile, check out older posts here as I go over many methods of charting and stock picking. They are all good in their own right if used properly and consistantly, some tweaking may be required though.

    This group is closed to new membership as they are currently working through a waiting list, so I cannot even recommend it. I have been doing a lot of right place right time things of late and this was just one (or perhaps three) of those times that just worked out well.

    Off to bed for me now.

    Cheers,

    Jeff.

    ReplyDelete