Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Monday, May 24, 2010

Position sizing...nay sayers

In reverse order:

I had an online acquaintance inquire about my trading and I ended up sending links to the three services that I am currently used, two of which are responsible for the trade setups that I used to make my current profits and one is new. After some online research they decided that I was in the minority of those who trusted and used this provider and actually made money. All I can say is that the ones who cannot make money using these services need to revisit their ability to pay attention to instructions and be able to execute trades quickly while sticking to some one else's plan. I have always said that when trading someone else's plan you would have to be willing to work the plan as it is laid out 100%.

Nuff said.

I decided to check out the profit potential for both of the services that I am using after having heard that one individual has cleared $100,000 since starting in March. Seeing as I wrote March off as a learning month (due to some of my erroneous trade decisions I about broke even) I just used April May to date for the day trading service but used all of the option momentum trades since inception, Mid March, about 42 trades that I was able to make over 47 days.

Using 10 contracts for every single trade (only because there was a period that 10 was the recommended max due to liquidity issues).

Day trading would have been near $23,500 and would have needed the $25,000 to manage this off the start. Now, with the profits I would not have had to keep that full amount in play but it is still near to doubling my money in less than two months.

The momentum trading would be at $57,480 and would have required about the same start up $25k. The final profit figure has me not only doubling but more than tripling my money by a good margin (2.3 times or 230% profit) in barely more than two months.

Total profit of $81,207 based on a $50,000 account is a 162% increase overall.

So, seeing as I am not really about the ROI I would look at the cash flow and it doesn't take much math to realize that $80,000 in roughly two months could look after a lot of things and still have lots of room to grow the trading account and start a nice investment account on the side.

Daily return for just the momentum account = $1723
Daily return for the day trading account = $734

Oh, this assumes that I keep the 10 contract position sizing throughout the period. I would expect that I would be moving the contract sizes up at about half the rate of account size increase to reduce the relative risk of the trades while still growing the account base and allowing to skim the profits as if using them for an income, which would be an ultimate target anyway.

Either return as a stand alone figure meets my daily minimums and then some.

Maybe not 'nuff said until the numbers are up like that.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment