Questrade, My direct access discount broker.

Questrade Democratic Pricing - 1 cent per share, $4.95 min / $9.95 max

Friday, September 25, 2009

AAARRRGGGHHH! One last trial.

I had decided that signing up with the Optioneer program was to be my last service to put to the test (although there is more commitment there than others from my side AND their side to make it work).

Today I received a notice about another program that I had considered before and looked into. It is new but I have tried other products from the same group. While I did not keep them active and exercised my risk free guarantee I was impressed with their dealings and straight up business attitude.

I put the cost onto my card, as all online services do, and immediately went crazy reading and going through the material.

This one is a "course" in options that includes a DVD set of lessons and some online assistance and webtools for working with options.

I must admit that they did a bangup job of it and it comes across as professional and is informative. I blew through all the quizzes after reading through the slide presentations so I have a handle on the entire content of the course now. The last part I skipped had to do with some of the more complicated strategies, condors, butterflies, strangles... all of which I am already looking at implementing anyway but will approach on an individual basis as I have done with every other aspect of trading.

In order to receive the credit upon cancellation within the 30 days I have to return the material...I think that I may cancel before then as all of the option course so far, 70% of it, has not had anything new. A few twists on theories that I passed over before and a slightly different takes on a few ideas but certainly nothing earthshattering...and certainly not worth $2500, the "introductory" price let alone the suggest retail price of $5,000.

While I should have known, I was curious enough to try it. The thing about these is there is no real material to get to understand ahead of ordering these so I have to bite the bullet to satisfy my curiosity. I am glad that the guarantees so far have lived up to their word.

I suppose, in defense of the program, anyone brand new to options would have a time with this course as it does cover a lot of material, just not much new for someone who, like myself, loves to learn voraciously and seeks out every scrap of material available while leaving my BS filter on high gain.

One last comment, and this has to do with the reason that I left options as long as I have. No matter how much one knows about options, one still has to be able to gauge a stock and price expectations in order to trade options. There are a few ways to trade them that can turn losers into winners and some that can turn a profit without knowing anything more than the volatility and average true range but that does not preclude getting to know the stocks first anyway.

Another service bites the dust.

Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment